August 01, 2012

Eat more chicken...or NOT?

*Guest post by Shivawn Mitchell *
We all have different belief systems, standards, morals and values. That’s what makes America attractive to other persons who don’t live in our country. We are known as the melting pot because we are so diverse.


So when I recently saw uproar over what the President of Chick-fil-A said I knew I had to give my 2 cents about it. Just to get you up to speed President Truett Cathy stated “We are very much supportive of the family- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,” Cathy is quoted as saying.
Picture via Huffington Post twitter feed



Whew buddy after that there were strong feelings of support and disagreement of the store.


It bothered me to see people saying the President [of Chick-fil-A] was spewing hate and they would never spend money at the restaurant again. But what sent me semi over the edge was the Boston Mayor making a statement saying he is vowing to block Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant in the city after the company’s president spoke out publicly against gay marriage. He was quoted saying he doesn’t want a business in the city “that discriminates against a population”.



So I had to reread what the President [of Chick-fil-A] said to see if I missed where he said he hated the gay community, or that he would discriminate hiring someone because of their sexual orientation. Now don’t get me wrong there is always an exception to the rule. There are groups including Christians who utilize their beliefs to spread hate. But I don’t believe this was his intent. He was stating HIS and the companies beliefs because if I’m not mistaken they have always been a Christian based business thus their reasoning for being closed on Sunday’s.


Is there a difference now that he publically said what was always “known” as their belief?


I think as a nation we react to things too quickly without thinking about them first.


Can you voice your beliefs without feeling fear for of the response from others or retaliation that may hurt your business? Do you think as a business owner you should be vocal on your views to the public?


I think you can “be living” your beliefs without being hateful. I am a Christian and I don’t force my beliefs on others but if you ask I won’t change to appease others but I don’t believe that equals hate.


I’m off my soap box & I’ll still be eating Chick-fil-A…what about you?


Guest post by Shivawn A. Mitchell  
http://love-iam.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails